Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, September 03, 2004

Friday Fun With Flippin' Floppies

It was my wifes final day here at . I met the party in Ryan's Bar up the West End after work for a couple of beers before leaving her to it (babysitting duty called). As she moves on to pastures new, a better job for her qualifications and more pay, she is natuarlly excited at the progress she is making, as we all are. Nerves are beginning to take over though, as the prospect of Monday morning looms promisingly just over the horizon.

I wrote a story a while back called The Blind Man Of Cathkin Street, sent it in to a magazine and am still awaiting a response. While making backups of my stuff though, this one story would not copy over onto disc. The disc was maknig an awful noise as well and I just couldn't understand it and eventually came to the conclusion it had become corrupted and so assumed if I tried to delete it, it would not.

Oh yes it did and I lost it from the backup disc AND the hard drive (cos I was trying to be smart). So I lost it all, but I never panicked becuase I had a hard copy AND I knew I posted it up here ages ago for crit so I can rewrite it.

Turns out though - the reason it would not copy is because of the wee tag - you know the one in the top left corner which stops you from overwriting soemthing by mistake - had come loose and that was all. Thats what the noise was and why it would not copy. So I did all that for nothing.
Lesson - make sure your flippin' floppies have secure bits on them or copy everything onto DVD instead.

I spent the afternoon redrafting Loaded and then put it up on my forum for my writing chums to have a hack at.
Colin 2:48 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment