Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Monkey Poems

Spring is definitely here and the streets are warming up noticeably. I remember last year, April 15th to be precise when we moved into our new house. The front of the building is south-west facing and gets the sun almost the full length of its daily orbit. This makes the living room and main bedroom naturally very warm and ideal for sleeping with the windows open.

Now that we've passed the April 15th point again, the sun is here again and it reminds me of our early days in the house when the sun shone constantly and the house was roasting but with the gentle breeze in the evening, sheltered from the wind by the other houses in the cul-de-sac. At night you can see the moon gliding across the sky, silver fading into the blue background.

I was moved at work to yet another new desk. This one has good points and bad points. Good, in that I am back near my team and that I am nearer to a window. Bad, in that there is a network point on the floor at my feet, which prevents me pulling my chair up to the desk fully. Also bad is that I have to change my phone number yet again.

After all the Easter holidays it was good to get back into Club Sandwich and get a cup of delicious soup they always have on offer for lunch. They always have loads of excellent soup on the go and the coffee isn't too shabby either.

I worked on my e-book all evening. I wrote several that are worthy of publishing in Silly Poems for Wee People Vol. 1, and one that is an absolute classic. Tentatively called Floating Monkeys, or Monkey's on a Raft, it had me in stitches. I actually burst out laughing at something I wrote because it came out so quickly and caught me by surprise. I rushed downstairs and read it to Gail and even she smirked so it can't be bad at all. Although it's a kid's poem, it is surely one of my best. It has everything; wit, imagination, imagery and idiocy - everything I like in a poem.

So far I have about 15 or 16 poems for the e-book. I want to have about 20 and I am toying with the idea of including sketches to accompany them. It's great fun working on this. As part of my GDR it was well worthwhile including it and I can see me doing more of this stuff in the near future.

It was with a sad heart though, that I received by way of email, notice that Chiaro Oscuro is to close on the 20th April. It was once a very lively and critical forum for poets that I found very hard to fit in to. A lot of the poets were extremely gifted and intellectual. I found their poetry difficult to decipher, yet beautiful in their use of imagery and metaphor. I'll miss CO, I learnt a lot from it, even if the biggest lesson was that I don't fit in to the conventional idea of what a poet is.



For more information about Fringe Fantastic, please go to the website: http://fringefantastic.colingalbraith.co.uk

Colin 10:47 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment