Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, July 18, 2005

Lothian Buses At It Again



Brace yourself. Seriously - hold on to your hat if you have one and if you haven't, then hold onto to something firm that can't be blown away.

Are you ready? Are you sure you're ready? Some people say they are when really, they need an extra few seconds to get into the frame of mind where they actually are ready. I'll give you an extra couple of seconds -

- okay. Here it is. Don't say I didn't warn you.

This morning, I got into work at 8am!!!!!!

Don't say I didn't warn you!! Amazing eh?

My choice was simple. Due to a Lothian Buses strike (see editorial later), I was faced with a choice; walk to work in the rain, or get a lift with Gail, which would mean being ready to leave the house at 7.45am.

I chose the latter and surprised myself how chirpy I felt at so early on a Monday morning. I was also surprised at my writing output, which was on a high. By lunchtime I had written 1200 words and done another draft of Whisky Snatching.

An interview I did with Devon Ellington for the 13 Travelling Journals Project has been posted on the official website. Click over to http://13travelingjournalsproject.blogspot.com and follow the date to Monday 18th July to read.

When I got home there was a parcel blocking the door from behind. I suspected I knew what it was, for there was only one thing I knew I was expecting in the mail. I picked it up and sure enough, it was Journal 2 of the 13 Travelling Journals Project; Fronds of Thought.

I looked at the white package and contemplated what was inside. Slowly, I opened the parcel and removed its contents. I had seen the journal and its case on the website, but holding it in my hand seemed different; almost spiritual.

I unclasped the case and slid the journal out. It was an exciting moment. Here was the journal in all its glory, safe from its Trans-Atlantic journey and waiting to begin another journey of creativity.

I felt a sense of awe and responsibility. Responsibility, because this is the brainchild of a colleague and a friend, so I want to do it justice. Awe because what I was holding means a lot to the person who created it and sent it on its way. It is not just a notebook; far from it. It has been given a life source, a meaning and that gives it a spiritual quality.

I only hope my handwriting is up to scratch when I write in it!

In total I had a good writing day. I wrote over 3000 words, edited Whisky Snatching twice bringing it to submission quality, and re-wrote the G8 Story, filling out the skeleton with detail and working on the ending.

Now, about this bus strike.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4688641.stm

A couple of years ago I backed the bus drivers in their quest for a pay-rise. They wanted around 12% and they got it, which brought them to a very respectable level of pay and conditions. To get this hike they went on strike, just like they are doing again today.

A couple of months after they won their battle, I was on a bus going up Leith Walk. We came to a stop in the middle of the road behind several other buses; a vehicle had broken down across the road and because of the centre partition, we were unable to move.

I waited until eventually I noticed all the buses ahead of us had emptied of passengers and with time ticking on I was already late in getting to work. I approached the driver and asked politely to be let off. He refused, saying the rear doors were too far exposed on the street. I said I could jump off the front doors as they were in line with the pavement; again he refused saying we were too far from said pavement.

I thought he was joking, but I realised he was enjoying the power he held over me in front of all the other passengers. A woman with a baby in a pram backed me up, but still he would not budge. I started to get annoyed. I told him I had backed him for his 12% when they striked, he said I "shouldn't have bothered because they were always going to get the raise anyway".

At this point words of a less salubrious nature were spoken. The driver pointed to a sign, which read "Our staff deserve the right to work without fear of assault or intimidation". I asked him, "Shouldn't the sign also read, 'Our staff are a bunch of power-loving wankers'?"

With most of the bus in uproar towards the driver for letting nobody off (more people had come to the front to support my case), I took matters in my own hands and pressed the green button to open the rear doors. As I was stepping off, he pressed the red button to close them. I saw the red mist and started yanking at the doors but he was not for giving in.

I lashed out and kicked the door, then kicked it again and the door flew open. I led off the woman in the pram who thanked me for "showing that Nazi bus driver where to go." From the driver's cabin, we could all hear the driver shout, "Away and get yerselves tae fuck!"

So guys, if you are expecting any vote from me because you want 6% instead of 5% then I'm sorry. You have lost one sympathetic bus user here. I only use the buses because there is no alternative, but the way some of you treat your customers is beyond reproach. This was not an isolated incident; your drivers have a poor reputation and this is not something that happens overnight.

My message to all Lothian Bus drivers on striker today is "Away and get yerselves tae fuck!", because I will gladly walk to work each day if it means you don't get the ill-deserved 1% extra. I could do with losing a few pounds anyway.

Colin 11:09 am

3 Comments:

RE: Bus Drivers: Wow, Colin. YOU GO!

RE: Fronds of Thought: I got chills reading you received it. I'm in line third (I believe) to get it and I CAN'T WAIT to see it. *VBG*
I totally suport you, Colin as I have long held the opinion that all Arriva bus drivers must die!
HOW RUDE!!!

(Not you, the bus driver!)

Add a comment