Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Don't Stop Me Now!

Another ridiculously hot day. I lay in bed longer then normal and after showering to cool down more than clean myself, I was still sweating within minutes. I cursed the heat for making me feel so uncomfortable.

I never thought I'd ever say it, but maybe I should look into Scottish naturism in an effort to cool down. Knowing my luck, the day I would be due to go it will rain, so perhaps not.

I nipped round to the paper shop and on my way back I saw a man carrying a wee girl in his arms. She was unconscious. A woman was shouting thatshe had fainted because of the heat and to get her some water quick. I panicked, because the girl was blonde, wore glasses and had similar clothes on as Laura when she went out to play. I ran over shouting, "Is that Laura?" and the guy just looked at me.

It wasn't and I apologised, but she was the spitting image of Laura and I thought something terrible had happened.

I got in and told Gail about it and she smiled; said not to worry. Then Laura came in demanding juice and hit us both with a pile of cheek. I went from a strange paternal feeling of pain in my heart to wishing she would go away because I can't be bothered with her cheeky attitude. I know bringing a kid up isn't easy but for God's sake; talk about a roller coaster of emotion!

Gail popped round to see her Mum with Laura in the afternoon, which gave me a chance to write. I spent some time on the beginning of a new project. It's not one I will be discussing much on this blog because it is a project that I can only get the most out of at this time by excluding it from my 'mainstream' work. It is something I need to do and it is going to be a challenge.

My youngest sister, Lindsay, popped in for a few hours since she was in Edinburgh visiting a pal. I showed her around the house and we sat in the conservatory talking for a while. I made dinner for everyone and she left about nine o'clock to head back through to Glasgow. It was good to see her; we don't talk enough, but when we do, we do!

I heard back from Hey ASAD! and my interview will be posted on July 23rd. I'll post the link here when it goes live. Also, my Featured Diarist interview will be going up on the 13 Travelling Journals website within a couple of weeks. Link is to the left but I'll let you know when it to goes live.

At KIC, we lost our second PR guru in as many weeks. I have been asked to resend all my information in again. As well as listing local newspapers and magazines they also want a list of places I would be able to do readings (gulp!) but I don't have that information at the moment. I'll have to go through a list I have and whittle it down to all the libraries and bookshops in Edinburgh - easy to reach geographically, but there are a lot of them!

I'm also struggling with the KIC e-book; a background to Hunting Jack set in the early 80's. I want to do it but we were given a July 15th deadline. With my accident putting most of last month on the sideline I have not been able to put any real time towards it. I'm going to ask for an extension but if I'm told I can't then I'll get round to it at some point anyway.

I wrote out a lot of background notes on a story based in and around the shenanigans of last week; G8, the riots and the London bombing. It's a great story but it is very complicated the way I am trying to do it. Two protagonists; conflicting viewpoints; first point of view - should be interesting.

I want to write it this week because the emotions of last week are still very fresh in my mind and I know I will do it more justice if I can get it down quick.

Therefore, something has to give and it means the KIC e-book will have to hope for about a month extra writing time. And of course, the Fronds of Thought Journal can't be far off, which will shoot up the priority list when it arrives.

So there is loads to do! July is turning into a really stimulating month. If I can get everything I want to on paper I'll be delighted and of course there is all the other GDR, PR and marketing stuff to do as well.

I love the writing game. If only all my days were like this!
Colin 3:07 pm

1 Comments:

Hopefully you'll have lots of days like that--only without the heat!

As far as cheeky 8-year olds, my nearly-eight year old is into alternately "cheeking" and "whining." (a lethal combination for the nerves, let me tell you.)
She spends a lot of time in Time Out these days, if you know what I mean. I just stick her on a chair facing the wall for seven minutes at a time (and yes, I did this BEFORE SuperNanny). It works wonders...generally.
;-)

Add a comment