Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Writing Despite The Heat

I gave Gail the opportunity of a long-lie this morning and she jumped at the chance. She looked physically exhausted last night when she came in and has been feeling run-down of late. So I got up and sorted Laura out then took her out for a walk in the early morning sun and to the paper shop.

When we returned I made breakfast and soaked her in more Factor-30 and off she went. I'll probably only see her again at lunchtime, when the van comes and then at dinnertime.

Gail slept solid and so I read the Racing Post - big race at York today - and read through The Herald. Then I got time to write.

Words poured onto the page and I found myself in a place where I wanted to stay. The sun beamed through the conservatory to my right and the kitchen was full of the sound of keys tapping and space bars a-hitting. You know you're in a good place when you make a superb cup of coffee but when you reach out to take a drink it has gone stone cold and numerous pages have flashed past you on the screen.

Then FIL showed up. I'm finding it harder to hide my annoyance.

Someone commented that my blog has become quite political this past week and that I stated earlier politics was not something I would enter into. This is a fair point but what I have steered away from (hopefully, I think) is revealing my thoughts or standpoint with regards to the G8, Blair and Bush, the protestors et al. I have revealed my standpoint with regards to my patriotism - and why not? My country was bombed. But you still don't know if I'm pro or anti-Bush/Blair. Nor do you know what way I voted in the recent General Election.

The reason I mention all these things is because as a writer, my writing is affected by my immediate surroundings, and all these things have had an effect on me personally. There is no reason why I should ignore these events as they impact my life, therefore impact my writing. In fact, the ideas for a couple of short stories have sprung up as a direct result.

I make no secret to the fact I detest the violence that accompanied the G8, but if anyone can tell me if I agree with what the peaceful protestors were saying, or of the outcome of the G8 was, then speak now. I'd be glad to discuss it.

In between Gail nipping out and me watching the afternoon horse races; I backed Crow Wood and it came in 2nd in the John Smith's Cup at York. I got through more work this afternoon also. Whisky Snatching is finally wrapped up as was the interview for the Hey Asda! website - including an adapted photograph of myself. I also completed a somewhat lengthy (hopefully not too lengthy) set of questions for use on the 13 Journals website.

As well as these things I wrote out the outlines for two new short stories and made more acute plans in my notebook for when it comes to some photography outings.

All in all, considering it was a roasting hot day, I think I did well to fit so much in for a Saturday afternoon. To celebrate, I set up the BBQ in the garden and moved out all our tables and chairs. We sat in the late evening warmth eating our burgers and kebabs that Gail had made up, with rows of seagulls and crows waiting on the garage roof for us to depart. As soon as we had packed up the garden was full of wildlife trying to find morsels of dropped food. I don't like seagulls - they are bullies.
Colin 11:49 am

2 Comments:

How can politics - or any world event - not effect you and your writing? I don't think you should have to apologize for this. It would be impossible not to discuss current events and their impact upon you, I think, although of course the amount of space they get differs with the individual blogger. I've been reading a bunch of historical fiction lately, and the politics and events of the time always enter into the story - no writer lives in a cocoon. You should not feel you have to edit your blog, or leave out things that are important to you, just because someone might be offended. I have disagreed with points of view expressed in blogs I've read, but I would NEVER criticize the blogger's right to express them.
Politics schmolitics! I don't have to know where you stand on the issues to love your blog.

Add a comment