Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Another Birthday And A Tough Decision

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GAIL!! 27 TODAY!!!

Today is my wife’s birthday. Laura was so eager to give her the presents we got her she was banging on the bedroom door just after 6am. Eventually I came out my slumber enough to cope with the fuzzy hangover and we did the honours.

I arranged for flowers to be delivered to her work but they must have got caught up in the Mothers’ Day rush and so they didn’t arrive until after Gail had left work for the day. She’ll get them tomorrow. I also bought a cake and Laura got to carry it through while we all sang Happy Birthday.

Gail went over to her aunt’s for the evening with her Mum so I got to write in peace; more on that later.

Back to the morning and once Gail had left the house, I was sitting at my desk drinking my morning coffee and checking for any e-mails requiring attention before going to work.

Just as I slid the keyboard tray back under the desk I head a crack and a groan. The desk then tilted to the right at an angle and I was just quick enough to get in its way and stop it collapsing altogether. I ended up having to slide the bed across the floor to jam it against the wall to prevent it from falling over.

When Gail was out for the evening, I saw to dismantling the desk. It wasn’t cheap, around £150 from memory, and so I’m a bit disgruntled at how it has faired. Within weeks of getting it the sliders for the keyboard tray had bent out of shape and the centre started to become warped. And now this total collapse! If I hadn’t been there, it could have been a disaster. So much for the wonder of Ikea. I’ll get a new desk for the new house and my office, but until then I will just have to do with an old kitchen table I have.

As predicted yesterday, my stomach felt less than happy, hence my “crappy” feeling all day, illustrated in my wee face on the right! Thanks to all you who expressed good wishes over my crappiness, but I can assure you all it is not serious, and was only the result of a dodgy pint. The only real victim in this experience was the bloke in the nest cubicle of the work toilet. Enough said. :-)

I wrote bucket loads on the Web Development manual during the day and in the evening sat down to write Hunting Jack. After the disaster of the lost issue I had to do a bit of reorganising but it has worked in my favour. It means I can bring forward a certain event that has been building up and also that I can finish off the 6th month’s subscription with a superb hangover – sorry, cliffhanger.

I wrote out my withdrawal letter to Wild Child and got a response pretty much straight away. I worded it as politely and professionally as I could and I do regret the position I am in. It was a tough decision to make; pulling a piece that had been accepted for publication doesn't seem natural somehow. I just wasn't happy with what was happening to the work. I hope I have done the right thing.
Colin 10:34 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment