Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Groundhog Day

The early spring is still with us and I bet there are a few citizens of North America hoping Punxsutawney Phil doesn’t see his own shadow so they can join me in this glorious weather. They’ve had a hard time of it lately by the sound of things and I’m sure some respite from the blizzards would be welcome news.

Groundhog Day is a peculiar thing. For me, it used to be a mild comedy starring Bill Murray, but it turns out there is more to this little molehill than meets the eye. Did you know Pennsylvania’s earliest settlers gave Punxsutawney Phil his name after King Phillip? Also, did you know Punxsutawney Phil is 188 years old and has been making weather predictions every year since? Did you also know only the President of the Inner Circle can understand Punxsutawney Phil when he speaks in the Groundhogese language?

There is one thing about the tradition that boggles my mind. And that is Gobbler's Knob!! Who thought that one up? As there may be some children reading, I shall refrain from my usually expected immature remarks.

If you want to know more about Punxutawney Phil, click here www.groundhog.org

Before lunch I polished up Loaded so it is now ready for submission. Not sure where it’s going yet, but I reckon inline with my GDR it should be a paying market.

Inspiration struck me for a poem on the way to work this morning - the first of at least four I shall write this month. It’s another to do with the writing process and I’ll post it here, of course, once it is complete.

Yes, I've changed the picture on my blog. Here we have a full body-shot of myself taken on May 22nd 2004 as I waited for the Heathrow Express to take me to Paddington, where I would change to the Circle Line to get me to King's Cross. There I would change again to take me to Camden Town. Then I would walk up Parkway and live the best day of my life (apart from my wedding) where I witnessed Madness take to the stage in the Dublin Castle pub. Want to read more and see pictures of this momentous day? Then click here!!!

Snooker was good though I lost 6-3. For the second week I have had mixed feelings about it. I am so motivated towards my writing I want to spend every minute doing it. So when I have to take time out I feel frustrated at not writing, or researching or doing something towards my goals.

I know it is unrealistic to think I can spend 20 hours a day writing, but the way I feel right now that IS all I want to do. Even if I were able to write full-time, not only would my GDR be so much larger, I would be mega-motivated. It would be unwise though. to do nothing but write all day and every day. I still need a balance; all work and no play…. and all that jazz.

So I tell myself it is good for me to get away from writing and from thinking about it. But I don’t want to be away from it. I think about it as soon as I am awake and it is the last thing I think about at night. I think about it at work and I think about it travelling to and from the office. In fact – I’m addicted. Or is that too strong a term for motivation?

If writing was my job, I would be the happiest person in the world. It is what I want to do. Actually no – writing is WHO I AM.

It took me years to figure this one out and I want other people in my world can recognise it also. That's the hard part.
Colin 11:22 am

2 Comments:

Groundhog day is so under rated.
The TV weatherman was almost embarrased to discuss it.
Everyone makes lite of it.

But, for those who were paying attention to the coverage of the recent tsunami, it seems that there are three small tribes of primitave peoples who live on a chain of small islands that were hit hard by the waves.

None of these people were hurt. Like the animals, they knew to flee to high ground.

Maybe ol' Punxsutawney Phil knows something that we don't.
I kept thinking, "I know the feeling" as I read your blog - I would love to be talented enough to write full time (or, I mean, talented enough to have people PAY me to write full time, LOL). It would be a dream life.
But as stated above, sounds like you're moving in that direction - fast.

Add a comment