Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Impact Of Pink

I watched a late documentary last night in bed; Classic Albums Of Our Time. It was superb as it covered The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. I have seen it before but the dynamics of the band always fascinates me. Each of the band members were interviewed separately and at times offered some very frank words to the camera, but they also played some tracks on guitar and keyboard, which was fantastic to watch. The rift between Waters and Gilmour still existed when this programme was made, though now they are on a much better footing after playing together at Glastonbury for the first time since they split. Now THAT was something to watch!

Pink Floyd music and lyrics had a profound impact on me when I first heard them back in 1979. I was a newbie in Primary school and still remember, to this day, being given into trouble as a six year old for chanting, “We don’t need no education!” in the class. Things worsened on my permanent record when Ian Dury released Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick the same year. In 1980 when Baggy Trousers was released by Madness, there was no going back.

Ironically enough, in 1990 when I was sitting my ‘O’ Grade’s at High School, I studied to the sound of The Wall permanently rotating on my cassette deck. Little did I know I was on a road with two very different sides to it. On one side I was being fed creativity from Pink Floyd and other music I was listening to, all of which helped shape into the person I am today in one way or another. On the other side of the road, I was being pulled subtly toward the turn-off leading to the Rat Race. It transpired I walked blindly down that road, but now I am attempting to cross it, through the wilderness and back onto the road true to me. And I know I’ll get there.

My alarm was set early so I could get Laura ready and down to her dance lessons in time. I was to pick her up two hours later, which gave me ample time to get a wee project of mine completed.

I jumped on a bus into Edinburgh city centre and got off in St. Andrews Square. I followed the path Jackie has taken since arriving in the city, and took photos and notes of his journey so far. Every stop and incident so far was recorded and logged in my notebook and on film. It proved to be an interesting exercise in that it felt as though I was almost him, but in a ghostly kind of way. It felt like a cross between a walk down memory lane, and the sensation of looking at Edinburgh through someone else’s eyes. The sounds, the smells, the people - all taking on slightly different characteristics. The only thing now is – how different would Jackie’s time in Glasgow be if I were to follow the route he took while there?

After lunch I had more to do around the house then I managed to fire out the remaining press releases I had lined up for e-mail distribution. I also polished up and sent in issues 43 to 44 of Hunting Jack to my editor.

After the past seven days, I’m looking forward to getting a nice lie in tomorrow. Well, if I can make it to 9am I’ll be happy!

Colin 11:59 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment