Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Ready, Steady........

An Occurrence
Something occurred to me last night as I waited for sleep to take its grip. On Saturday, as you know, I took a camera and notified and followed Jackie's route through Edinburgh since he arrived (for me) in the city. Then, on Sunday I wrote the most glorious issue (for me - as a writer) of Hunting Jack - ever!

Are the two related? I think they might be. This could be the evidence I need that when it comes to Hunting Jack, maybe I am not quite 100% IN as I thought I was. I was IN at the weekend - and the result was nothing short of orgasmic (for me). I think I need to crawl deeper under Jackie's skin.

As I write, I just realised how to do this. And this is getting good - very exciting. A while ago a friend of mine read Tarot cards for Jackie. The question was: "Is Jackie following a path true to his heart or is the promise of "greener grass" going to lead him astray?"

I looked into the result of this reading and thought about it a lot at the time, but have neglected it over the past couple of months. Now is the time to strike and look into it even further. I feel like Sherlock Holmes having just discovered an important link has been missing all along.

Award
Speaking of Hunting Jack - it's won the KIC Editor's Choice for February 2005!



It's all here!! http://www.keepitcoming.net/choice.html

You know what to do now.....


The House
The house is now officially up for sale. The prospectus is complete and looking great, the website updated and the sale entered into the local property papers. We now await with baited breath for the frenzy of bidding to begin. The first possible viewing is this Thursday. Gail said she will be heart-broken if nobody shows so I just keep telling her to relax. It could start slow and pick up, or start fast - who knows. It's a sellers market to an extent, but until you get the people in the door there is only so much you can do.

McVane
I have a mystery fan. Someone going by the name of McVane has a blog at http://mcvane.blogspot.com and it is very good. I only came across it myself through a friend in my writing group who found it. She contacted me because we have something in common with McVane - both our blogs are listed under his/her favourite blogs!

I don't know who it is, but they are definitely interested in writing. I think McVane is an agent or publisher judging by the text - either way, I would love to find out. Please email me at madness@supanet.com and let us join in triumphant bloggophoria! I promise to be discreet if you so wish.

Early Spring
Spring seems to have come early to Scotland. Well Edinburgh at least. It is unseasonably warm and sunny. Maybe our two weeks of summer have come early this year, and we are going to get rain from June to August. Typical.

Special Mention
Most of my faithful readers will read this on the 2nd of February. If that is the case, then get yourself over to where my writing chum, Cerridwen Iris Shea, is offering a 3 month subscription to her bloody fantastic serial called Angel Hunt for $3!!! That's a saving of $6.99 from a normal 3-month sub!!

And for all my Brit readers - that's only about £1.75 for 27 issues of a fantastic tale!

This offer is only available on the 2nd of February, so you better be quick. It's a damn good read - I heartily recommend it.


Click here for full details of this offer

Click here for details of Angel Hunt

Click here and you might look daft as this isn't a link ( I won't tell on you. Yes, YOU!)


February's To Do List
And so another writing month begins. I have set the bar higher than ever before with this month's tasks, and included some new things with which to advance some of the goals of the overall GDR 2005 plan.

Fiction
* 1 new short story
* 1 short story for Writing Magazine (Feb Competition)
* Re-write Bill McCarthy short story
* 13 issues of Hunting Jack (upped from 9 last month)
* Submit Loaded (F) for publication
* Submit Bill McCarthy (F) for publication
* Submit The Oasis for publication
* Follow up on long-standing poetry and story submissions. Pull and resend if necessary.
* Read A Friend To Die For manuscript. Plan or write next chapter

Poetry
* 4 new poems (upped from 2 last month)
* Submit Lost Tears for publication
*Buy a book or two on poetry structure and form

Non-Fiction
* Chapters 1 and 2 of Web Development manuals
* Issue 2 of KIC website development column (1st draft already done)
* Issue 2 of Theatre review column
* Issue 1 of Travel column (for issue 2)
* Issue 1 of UK music column (for issue 2)
* Write 3 travel articles about Edinburgh with different angles

Marketing and Promotion
* Leaflet re-distribution for Hunting Jack (to be done during school hols)
* Design business cards
* Do more to promote web design services

Reading and Research
* Finish reading The Prison House by John King
* Read more fiction!
* Research Buddhism

Technical
* Update website for client in Scotland
* Design new website for new client

Off we go!!!!
Colin 10:02 pm

1 Comments:

CONGRATS on your award Colin!
And GOOD LUCK on selling the house!
:-)

Add a comment