Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, January 24, 2005

Free Coffee And The Theatre

After bouncing out of bed and racing down my breakfast, I made my way as swiftly as I could to the bus stop to make sure I was in work on time. Then I remembered I had a doctor’s appointment and my rushing around suddenly became an exercise in fruitlessness.

I stopped in at my favourite coffee shop on the way in to work – Club Sandwich on Dundas Street. I ordered a cappuccino and counted out my change, only to be told it was my tenth coffee – and therefore FREE! YIPPEE!! I just love it when that happens!

I got to work very late – but had booked the time out already so there was no hassle. The work I have on at the moment is slow in coming through because I have to wait on other areas to get their acts together before I can commence my part. The longer they take, the more I can spend doing other stuff so it’s fine by me.

Over lunch I bought a copy of the bi-weekly List Guide. I bought it to get an idea of what is on in the local theatres and found it also contained an article about the re-release of Paul Auster’s novel, City of Glass on February 3rd. I read this as part of his book, The New York Trilogy when I was on holiday in the summer and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

I prepared two versions of a new press release I am going to submit. This new PR is going to play strongly on the fact that KIC is essentially a US-based e-zine marketing to the world. It will also highlight the Hunting Jack competition for a free subscription. I have also offered the individual editors – and I am making this PR personal to each publication – the chance to run some issues or offer free subscriptions for their own competitions.

I also wrote out some specific queries to some locally based newspapers and magazines with the same information, plus highlighting in each case just exactly how an interview with me about HJ can be slotted into their paper/mag.

It’s aggressive and very forward. But you don’t get anywhere in this game without making your name known and doing the hard slog. So I heard anyway.

With a view to the KIC theatre review column, I have decided to go and see Look Back In Anger by John Osbourne. It has just started a run in the Royal Lyceum Theatre. I showed it to Gail, making sure not to put any pressure on her and she said she would come along. I have missed the opportunity of a discussion with the cast but I will contact the theatre in advance and see if they can do anything or give me a press pack.

The last time I went to the theatre to see a non-play production was at the Kings Theatre last year. Gail and I went to see Stones In His Pockets by Marie Jones was on and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Afterwards we went for a meal at my favourite restaurant in town, Le Sept.

I love the cinema, but there is something exciting about live performances in a theatre that grabs me. Listening to the script and delivery of the lines, the emotions and the interactions. It’s the atmosphere that is so different; it creates a different kind of buzz to the big screen.

Gail fell asleep during the second half of Stones. She’s more of a musical show fanatic. We have tickets for Starlight Express at the Playhouse in April but that is too far away for me to write a review for the May issue of KIC Magazine.

Which is what I like about this writing gig – it gives me an excuse to get out and taste more culture. I was prepared to go myself. There seems to be difference between going somewhere like this as work, compared to going for enjoyment – if that makes sense.

I wrote 2,500 words of my new short story at night. I also renamed it as The Oasis. It’s good and I like it. It tailed off slightly towards the end but I know its flaws and strengths and I will spend some time getting it right. It is 4000 words in total, which considering the amount of work I have put into the house over the last three days, is not a bad average of words.
Colin 9:58 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment