Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2005

A Successful Day

I got my lie in and snoozed solidly through to 10.30 am. Not only that, but Gail had left early to take Laura shopping for Bratz dolls (don't ask!) and so I had the house to myself. On a Sunday morning! What bliss!

On went my Dark Side of the Moon CD to the smell of freshly brewing Blue Mountain coffee, a couple of bacon slices and a freshly baked ciabatta roll. Drool - drool!

Things then went from good to even better before lunch had even crossed my mind. I wrote what is probably the best episode of Hunting Jack I have ever written. It is solid, packed with description and mood and has a great balance between inner thought and authorial comment. With it being the final issue before the readers are asked if they want to re-subscribe, I managed to leave it with a fantastic cliffhanger, giving it real edge and tension. Surely no-one can refuse.

Gail arrived home over lunchtime just as I had re-read issue 45. It only required a few alterations and was ready for sending to my editor - surely my fastest turnaround ever. I still don't trust myself though so I sat on it for a couple of hours, re-read it again then sent it in.

But I digress. When Gail returned she did so having gone out and bought a new bathroom for our new house - which isn't even signed for yet! Her face looked serious as she revealed the cost, how much she had saved on it and the extra toilet set she bought.

"Perfect Sunday for you eh?" I said.

Her face turned from grim to beaming with delight. "Too right!"

I like to see my wife happy.

My friend Devon spotted a cool competition run by the University of Maine. With no entry fee but a cash prize on offer, I thought it would be worth a go, so I submitted two poems - Perfect Place and Disposable Pen.

I then set about editing and polishing up The Oasis. I added an extra 400 words taking it to 4400 overall, while making it tighter at the same time. It still needs another couple of reads, but with it being such a large piece of fiction I will wait until tomorrow before giving it another go.

I re-wrote Loaded after dinner. I wanted to make it more compact and explain more of the circumstances that are covered throughout the story. I feel the point is missed and there is not enough conflict, so I decided to change one of the characters slightly, to give him more of an arrogant nature. The story works better, but again, I will wait until tomorrow before giving it another read.

I updated my January To-Do list (which I will publish the final version of tomorrow) and made a start on February's.

A full day’s writing and all in all, I’d say a total success.
Colin 11:46 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment