Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Test The Theory

I moved desk in work today. I am now sitting in my bosses seat for a fortnight and he is in mine. I got the better end of the deal because I am now next to the window and can see out to check on how the local nature is handling winter. The move itself is only down to technical reasons – they think it will allow me to deliver the project with a faster turnaround. I doubt it though, since the hardware is just as crap in this corner of the room as it is in the other.

I wrote a poem. I have been studying poetic structures lately – nothing formal – just reading and analysing other people’s poems more. I have been looking at structure, metaphor, imagery and line patterns and trying to apply them to work of my own.

Edwin Morgan wrote a poem about a mug, using a very specific structure. It is called Mug Poem (no joke) and is structured thus:

A - first stanza
A - describes what you do with the object
B - imagery and metaphor of object giving it life
B

C - second stanza
C - describes what the object needs/does for you
D - ends in ultimate human reality
E
C
D

Here’s what I came up with:

Disposable Pen

Scribble madly as a Priest without a prayer.
Write smoothly as a Falcon gliding on the air.
Capture the moment a woman turns wife.
Sketch a glimpse of another's life.

Hold me tight,
grip me right,
angled perfectly, in
your supple palm.
Inspiration in the twilight.
Then dispose of me, in the bin.


I worked on this poem for two days, and then sent it in to my writer’s group for suggestions. I thought it was very scrappy but surprisingly it went down well! Goes to show.

My new press release for Hunting Jack was released by PRWeb. Read it here at:

Hunting Jack - 2nd Press Release

My evening was hectic. On returning from work at 6pm I dived straight into completing the final leg of the house rejuvenation for tomorrow’s valuation. It was 10 o’clock before either of us got our dinner.

Now the hectic stuff is out of the way I *should* be able to relax a bit more and do more writing in the house. That’s the theory. I will put it to the test as soon as possible because I still have a few outstanding items to do for my January To Do list.
Colin 9:10 am

1 Comments:

Colin:

Sorry I didn't get to your poem on ARS. It is wonderful.

B

Add a comment