Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, January 21, 2005

No Rest For The Wicked

I am still on a high from the last couple of days house-hunting. It took me a few seconds to remember when I woke up, and when I did – bang! What a feeling!

Off to work I trooped with a smile on my face for once. It’s amazing what change like this can do for one’s esteem and general outlook on life. Suddenly I feel so happy and closer to Gail and Laura than ever before – which is saying something.

Work however, brought me down with a bump. I had work to do which proved to be difficult. I was implementing changes to our mainframe software and hit difficulties with the set-up of the code. Problem after problem developed, each one compounding on the last making it into a mountain of error.

So I went to Clark’s.

On returning I had a brain wave and the problem got sorted. The main part of the implementation didn’t start until 7pm so at around 4pm I popped back into Clark’s for a quickie before the rest of the guys headed off to a free night in Grand Cruz. Just my luck; a free bar on a Friday night while I’m stuck in work.

A couple of the guys started asking about Hunting Jack – only Dave knew I wrote prior – and it was good telling knew people about the story and my writing. I am always conscious not to go on about it for fear of boring the shit out of everyone, but at the same time, I don’t often get to talk about it in public. When Dave finally passes me something to read that he has created, I am sure it will lead to more discussions. Bring them on I say!

Dave ended up not going though after his wife rang with news of his daughter being sick. Hope she gets better soon mate!

And so I found myself back in work at around 6.30pm. I logged onto my writing group for a bit and redrafted Heart Of A Child for Wildchild Publishing. I gave it one more read over when I got home and sent it back to my editor for February’s issue.

I received an email from my editor at KIC with the information on the next round of articles for issue 2 of the magazine - wanted ASAP for the May edition. This puts the pressure on, for as well as the January goals for my GDR list, I now have to add on a theatre review, gig review (I signed up for another column), travel column and the next website development column. This of course, all has to be fit into the hectic schedule of getting the house ready for viewing starting next week - everything has to be boxed, polished and fixed.

'No rest for the wicked' has never been so aptly applied!
Colin 10:25 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment