Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Stevie's Stag Party

I was up at 7am sharp, got breakfast ready for me and Laura and had time to watch some cartoons with her before I got my gear ready for another trip to Newcastle. My train was at 10am and I slept all the way; much needed after the last few days let me tell you.

When I arrived Craig picked me up and we went out to his flat in South Shields to dump our stuff. MikeyP had arrived earlier that morning and went Go-Karting with the rest of the Stag group, so me and Craig had a beer in the flat then headed out to a wee fisherman’s bar in South Shields – I forget the name.

We caught up, shared some laughs and enjoyed a few cold beers before moving to The Beacon bar – same style but with a nice wee restaurant attached. MikeyP and Paul arrived to join us at about 3 o’clock and it was the old boys back together again.

Click to enlarge


Paul I have not seen for a couple of years. Some things happened between us that are old and not worth mentioning, needless to say I cut myself off from him. Seeing him again brought back some old memories – good and bad (he was a flat mate for a time) and there were no immediate hard feelings.

We went back to the flat and got changed, blasted some tunes and had a few more drinks before heading to the other end of Newcastle where the main stag party was staying. It was a weird setup; a Chinese restaurant with a hotel built onto it. By now the party was in full swing with everyone together – all 17 of us so you can imagine it was getting somewhat raucous.

Paul chose dinner to remind me part of the reason I distanced myself from him in the past. It will be a while before we drink together again.

Stevie (the Groom) was given his outfit for the night – a large bird which when worn made it appear he was sitting atop a huge chicken.

Click to enlarge


Went over the road to a stylish bar called Osbourne’s for more drinks where we were also handed our Mexican gear for the night – large stick-on moustaches. This attracted the attention of the locals so I got hold of another moustache, tore it in half and used the ends as eyebrows. Rolf Harris eat your heart out.

Click to enlarge


The Best Man had ordered a bus to get us to the city center so on we piled and havoc commenced. Don’t forget Craig and I started drinking at mid-day and the rest not until 3pm, so we were 9 drinks ahead of the 15 others. This of course proved too much for us and we swiftly moved into “clown mode” (see Blog entry entitled ‘Tears of a Clown’). The bus was in stitches.

Be glad you weren’t there – and we weren’t in a public domain. Enough said.

We got to Buffalo Joe's – Newcastle’s premium nightclub and fun bar based on a country and western theme - at about 8'ish. It was mobbed and the party was in full pelt. There were a couple of Hen party’s in the bar too and we persuaded one of them to join Stevie in the Wig-Wam-Bam cage. If you don’t know what this is – it is where a girl from the audience climbs into the cage with two hunky cowboys and is jostled and vibrated to the tune of cowboy songs. The ladies seem to love this - personally I don't get it much lol!

Stevie went head-to-head with the girl, running around the club kissing people and the person with the highest amount of snogs won vouchers for the bar. Stevie lost – we were most disappointed.

Click to enlarge


One of the things Buffalo Joe’s is famous for is the Buffalo Joe Dancing Girls who perform on the bar itself. It always gets a good crowd and ensures there is something for both sexes. It’s great fun and a good place for a night out. When we left at about 11pm the queue outside waiting to get in stretched right round the block.

We went to another couple of bars and by 2am we were all beginning to slow down and long for our beds.

It’s always a touch call at that time of night, especially when on a Stag because if you are the first to concede you could be ridiculed forever, and ever.

I looked at Craig out the corner of my eye; he glanced back. Our thoughts connected simultaneously as we silently read each other’s thoughts: “Cheese sandwich, cup of tea and an episode of Frasier?”

We were home within the hour in front of the television. Sleep came quick.
Colin 3:31 pm

1 Comments:

Sounds like a good time was had by all.
Out of interest, in the first of your pictures with Craig and Paul, I happened to notice the large plant behind the couch and it reminded me of a particularly funny moment from your flat sharing days with Paul. I remember being at the flat and you showed me your rather unique way of feeding the plant! Happy days.
I miss spending time with you, Craig et al. We will need to have a night out, sometime soon.

Add a comment