Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Return Of The Bleach Dream

The ‘bleach dream’ was back with vengeance last night. Again, I was tricked into drinking from a bottle of thick household bleach, but this time it wasn’t until I began to choke and have feelings of rising vomit did I wake up. When I did, I was face down on my pillow and my mouth was full of sick. I managed to hold it in until got to the toilet and when I went to brush my teeth and clean out my gob, I was sick again.

There is no reason for this that I can think of and despite searching around and leaving messages on dream forums in the net, I have been unable to decipher its meaning.

Laura was supposed to wake me up this morning but never came into the room until 9.30 am – half an hour before her dance lessons start so Gail ended up doing the honours. When she got there they were cancelled so she took Laura to the shops to get some things for a party she has on Sunday. This all meant I could get a nice, long, peaceful lie in peace; my first since before Christmas. I must have needed it too because I slept solid until lunchtime.

With Gail out for the afternoon I spent some time with Laura doing jigsaws, making some art with stuff she got from Santa and then I made her dinner. With all this fun I never got to make a start on any writing until I put her to bed at 8 pm.

I sat down with my mind wrapping around Hunting Jack but it wouldn’t reach the full way so I write this Blog to get me going. I lit a King Edward cigar, poured a glass of 12-year-old Balvenie (DoubleWood) single malt whisky, and the words flowed. Issues 39 and 40 formed themselves into nice, rounded issues and the evening was complete.

I caught a late film on BBC1 as I finished my last couple of whiskies. Edward Woodward playing the role of an English policeman who is visiting his daughter in Queens, New York and gets involved in a serial murder investigation. The film was called The Shamrock Conspiracy, and it was the biggest load of claptrap I ever saw in my life.

For example: Edward and his son-in-law (himself a New York PR man with the NYPD) go into an Irish Bar to try to trace two men involved in a hit and run which is related to the case. Ed asks for a drink and the bar owner tells him he is not welcome because of his English accent. As they sit talking to a woman about the case, they feel the eyes of all the bar regulars on the back of their heads and when they leave, Ed secretly takes a handful of sand from the floor (a real sawdust joint!) and throws it in the face of the man standing by the pool table with the baseball bat. The two men run out.

How pathetic and colloquial. First off, it’s an insult to the Irish if the people who made this film think all Irish are Republican sympathisers. Second, not all Irish are terrorists as this film would have you believe. Third, Irish terrorists (on all sides), are not all cheeky wee chappy’s that sing Limericks as they walk the streets. Lastly, it’s an affront to NY citizens, who if you believe the film, are all believers of the “Cause” and are only too glad to part with their hard-earned dollars to support terrorists.

Something just occurred to me as I write this. Gerry Adams, Sinn Fein President used to visit the US quite a lot to urge money raising and promote their political beliefs. As this film was made in 1995, I wonder if after 9/11 the same people who freely gave their cash to the IRA still do so after the terrorist atrocity, which occurred in New York. The IRA after all, has links with many of the countries that were, and still are, backers of Al Quaeda.

An interesting thought.
Colin 1:59 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment