Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Edinburgh Blows

The excitement of the wonderful start to the year in a writing sense has spurred me into action. I prepared issues 37 and 38 of Hunting Jack for submission as well as submitting a freelance writing position for a bar/restaurant reviewer in an Edinburgh magazine.

I also stumbled across a website that combines the literary world to geographical locations. They are looking for features that link these two worlds and amazingly, there was no mention of in Edinburgh on their site. They have 60k subscribers so I started to prepare a pitch for an article I would like to write for them. It would be good exposure and a good experience.

Having published my GDR for 2005 yesterday, I have now broken down what I need to achieve in January to keep on track. So, by Jan 31st I need to have completed:

* 1 new short story
* 2 new poems
* 9 issues of Hunting Jack
* Re-write Daffodils, Loaded and Bill McCarthy
* Plan and make a start on Web Development manuals
* Research more non-fiction markets

Other things to follow up on:

* Remind UPSA about interview request (if no contact)
* Press release for Hunting Jack competition
* Contact target media for free HJ issues
* Leaflet re-distribution for Hunting Jack
* Prepare classified ad for KIC
* Contact 'The Leither' magazine

Quite a handful, but very do-able.

Edinburgh became engulfed in wind this afternoon with pedestrians literally being blown off their feet. When I left work I was walking up Dundas Street with this gale in my face and on a couple of occasions it was so strong as to stop me in my tracks. It was so bad I even thought if getting on a double-decker bus would be a good idea - but I did, and put on my personal radio to take my mind off it.

London Calling by The Clash played as I passed by the Omni Centre and down Leith Walk, making me think of London. As I passed the Dalmeny Bar I found myself laughing out loud at some poor bloke who had been trying to tie his decrepit Christmas tree onto the roof of his car, only to see it caught in the gale and blown down the road. As hard as he tried, there was no way he was going to catch up with it as it bounced down the street.

Colin 10:04 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment