Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, January 14, 2005

Slow And Dragging

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHAS SMASH! (45 TODAY!!)

Today I feel like death warmed up.

Drinking mid-week used to be fine when I was but a 20-year-old student, when Thursday nights saw the start of the weekend festivities and would go on until the Sunday. I was fit, slim and generally quite windswept and interesting.

Unfortunately I am now 31, couldn’t run for the bus if my life depended on it, have a slight bump where my six-pack used to be and have lost one or two follicles from my healthy locks of hair. Thursday night drinking is so much harder to get over these days.

I crawled into work at about half past ten and logged onto my e-mail. Dave had already sent a message half an hour earlier with the subject: “OH MA HEID!”

At about half past eleven I got another e-mail from Dave which read, “Did any of you guys see Tom leave the bar last night. He's not made it into work.”

Oh dear.

As I write, I have still to find out where the guys went last night after I left them in Pivot, but I would hazard a guess it was dark, dingy and had a pianist in the back playing karaoke tunes on a Steinway.

Work was slow and tedious and by the time it came to 4pm I could not wait to get home - which I managed to do as briskly as I could, stopping in for some shopping on the way.

Gail had a night out with her work mates - one of who was leaving - and so once Laura was in bed it was down to some writing. This too came slow due to my tiredness and I struggled to maintain a focus.

With a big weekend ahead I plumped for an early'ish night in front of the television.
Colin 9:16 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment