Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Easing Into The Christmas Spirit

When I got up the house was empty and for a minute, I contemplated a day of ttoal tranquillity. Not to be. It wass My Mother-In-Law’s 9.. *ahem* 6.. *ahem* - something significant over her 21st birthday today and so when Gail appeared back at the house to pick me up, I knew it was all over before the first sip of coffee even reached my lips.

We arrived at the house, but alas I smelt no fresh baking or bacon rolls drifting from the kitchen as is so often the case on a Sunday morning.

“Happy birthday auld yin!” I shouted as I bounded in the front door.

“Cheeky upstart!” replied my more-than-able-to-supply-equal-amounts-of-banter-Mother-In-Law.

“Do you like your present?” I asked.

“Lovely thank you – but I’ll never figure out how to use it,” she laughed.

We gave her a mobile phone you see. One you can top up but will never expire; for emergencies mostly. A couple of months ago she broke down late at night going to her work (she’s a nurse) and couldn’t contact anyone; hence the mobile.

“You’ll need to give me your new mobile number so we can send texts to each other,” I said enthusiastically.

“That’ll be bloody right. I get enough of you as it is.”

After a nice cup of tea and some biccies we headed up to town. My work has an annual Christmas party for 5 to 7 year olds and even though I hate the Company, they do a good thing for the kids. So we dropped Laura off and went round the shops to get the rest of our presents.

We came across a French market in Castle Street. There was laods of clothes, leather products and of course - delicacies. Even the market sellers were over from France for the market so I'm hopingh they do it again. The smell around the tents was awesome and we tried some of the smoked pork, fresh fruit and nuts. It was delicious and only served to make us hungry. It was a great atmosphere especially as it stood in the shadows of the Castle – so I took a pic…

Click to enlarge


With Laura being at the party for two and a half hours though, and us realising that we have got her enough for thte 25th, we went for a pub lunch. Regular readers will recognise the place we went from the other day - the Hogshead on Rose Street. A chicken wrap and a couple of pints later and it was time to pick up Laura. I’m sure Santa’s helpers could smell my breath – bet they were jealous!

By the time we got home it was late. One of Gail’s pals had her birthday today so she went round for a visit and I put Laura to bed. With my PC being out of action and tiredness creeping in, I stuck on a DVD. One of the presents we got Laura is the DVD of The Chronicles of Narnia; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, so I sat and watched it, remembering Aslan and the White Witch from when it was first aired on TV some 16 years ago. It brought back some good Christmassy memories; can’t wait for the 25th now!
Colin 11:21 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment