Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, September 17, 2004

Damnations!

My normal morning pre-work routine is this:

The first three went swimmingly well. Then I bent down to press the cream coloured button on my tower PC. Nothing. Not a blip. I pressed it again. Still nothing.

I checked the plugs, the monitor, the house fuses, everything but it seems the only thing NOT working is my computer itself. This is bad. All my stuff, and I don't just mean my writing stuff is on that machine. Of course, I have backups so my work itself will never be lost, but my research files, notes, e-mails and other related documentation and files could be lost if I don't get it working. I also have all my applications that I need for maintaing my world famous Madness website, all my subscriber details for its mailing list, and all the coding that makes the damn thing work. PLUS in the past I have done websites for a few businesses to make a few extra bucks; all that is threatened by this failure too.

I had to leave it and go to work. With me not knowing if I had a working PC in the house, I got to sending KIC issues 2 through 8 from work. Thankfully I can stil access my e-mail via the browser, but it doesn't help my worries.

When I got in I checked the fuse in the plug, changed it and stuck it back in the socket. I turned it on. Crack! The back of the PC lit up blue in a loud firey spark and went out, electrical smoke drifting up into the air.

Now I have a serious problem. I dismantled the PC and will go and get a new power unit from somewhere fast. I need to get at my data.

Not the best of days.

Finished the evening watching Ian Rankin on Newsnight Review on BBC2 talking about various current issues of interest, then reading a bit of John King's latest novel, The Prison House.


Colin 11:13 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment