Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Slick Blurb

Couldn't sleep last night. I've lost my appetite somewhat over the past couple of days and the sleep thing has coincided with it. I got back up and worked on Poolside Poetry until around 2.30am. Yet when I got up today I felt refreshed and quite energetic.

Energetic that is, except for my right foot which is damn sore - much sorer than yesterday when I went over on it in the garden. It's now really hard to walk on and I can feel pain right through my foot.

I worked more on Poolside Poetry, adjusting the order of the poems and working on the foreword. It's coming to fruition nicely. I've not decided if the font I have used is my final choice, I may do a further search for fonts.

I've got hold of a digital SLR for the font cover photo shoot, so I dropped Sarah an e-mail to see if she's still up for doing the cover. I still fancy doing a Portobello beach shot. Going to be cold this time of year but it'll be worth it.

Worked on Slick outline. I'm reluctant to overdo the synopsis in case I remove the enjoyment and richness of allowing the story to grow itself. But I need it to be researched and plotted to a certain degree if I'm going to make the 50k words in the month of November.

I'm going to write it in first person. NaNoWriMo is an experiment, so I want to experiment with the writing, too. I think first person will suit the story I am planning, but the problem I am having is how to start the book. There isn't any logical beginning but without an explosive start, this book will be nothing. Answer? More thinking, more planning, more work.

Here's the blurb:

The Devil Finds Work For Idle Hands

Ronnie Glover was a bit of a cad. He had a good job in the City, a swish pad overlooking the Thames and a girlfriend most men would give their right arm to be with.

But he got bored.

When the chance to work for one of the world's richest oil families was offered, he jumped at the chance. Now, as he returns to the UK after a three year stint in Dubai, he is richer than his wildest dreams - and more wanted than any other man in the country.

Six months after returning to London, his flat is burgled, his company office burnt to the ground and his girlfriend murdered. The police can't find a motive, but Ronnie knows who - and why.

He fakes his death and flees to Edinburgh fearing for his life, and begins a new life with a new identity, a life that affords him little of the pleasures and luxuries he once took for granted.

When his past catches up him, all hell breaks loose and Ronnie is faced with a life and death decision. Can he survive a life on the run from some of the World's richest criminals and get his life back?

Sometimes, it's better to be dead.


Slick. A novel by Colin Galbraith. Coming soon! (Well - a wee while yet.)
Colin 11:59 am

1 Comments:

I have to agree with Devon, The hook lives up to the name. Get writing young man, I want to read that.

Add a comment