Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Time

A bland kind of day with a weather system over the country that doesn't know if it wants to rain or shine. I'm so bored at work just now. If they changed things about it might get better but until then, it's still the same old crap. It's more like being back at school or stuck in the lyrics of a Pink Floyd track...

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun


On a side not, I discovered recently that a good friend of mine, Alex Caldwell, thinks he knows music, yet has never bought or even listened to a copy of Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. This, to me, is inconceivable and so I have made it my mission to get him a copy and educate him.

I wrote up a short piece about the creative and technical process of creating my poetry e-book, Brick by Brick and posted it to a forum I visit. It was suggested to me that I rework it and try to sell it as an article to a writing magazine, so I spent some time on it. It never occurred to me I could do that with it, but there you go.

I also made a hell of a discovery when trawling through my Robert Louis Stevenson research. Although I new he lived in Edinburgh's New Town for a time, I did not know for how long or where. It turns out he grew up there from about the age of six until his twenties when he started travelling. However, the family home in question is still there!! 17 Heriot Row - and it’s just round the corner from my office!!

I just HAVE to go and visit. Apparently it is still privately owned and cared for so I am hoping to get inside - if they will let me. I want to take my camera when I do go so I will try and go round at the weekend.

Which reminds me, I am going to do the "dancing run" on Saturday morning because I want to go into town to check out an art exhibition; Uncovering the Veil by Anna-Lisa Drew. It's the last day it is running and I don't want to miss it.

When I got back from the snooker I checked my e-mail and there were about a thousand e-mails from my editor at KIC. The upshot of which is, she has put a deadline - I think - on July 15th for the e-books related to our serials.

This may present a problem. It may take me up to the end of May to complete the serial. That would give me six weeks to write anywhere between 20k and 40k words, edit it, prepare it, edit it again, prepare the artwork, final proof it and produce the complete PDF file. She also wants a synopsis in as soon as possible - another strain.

Can it be done in six weeks? I'm not so sure as I do have other things I want to do. But I also want to do this. First things first - finish the serial then I can decide.

Before I sign off for the day, if anyone else out there hasn't got a copy of Dark Side of the Moon, then go out and buy a copy. If you can't afford the tenner then e-mail me and I'll make you a copy. You haven't LIVED until you have heard such a body of musical genius. The lyrics, the guitar solo's the emotion, the feelings, the overwhelming feelings of joy, despair, summer days and winter mornings. Don't deny yourself, do YOU a favour for a change and just listen. Just listen.

Why not get yourself a copy right now by clicking on the album cover --->


Colin 10:46 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment