Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, May 06, 2005

A Labour Win, But The Top 5 Is Still Undecided

Not unsurprisingly Labour won with a vastly reduced majority. Mr Blair sucked up to the electorate by saying they were the "listening party" and would learn from the result. My seat - Edinburgh East - saw Labour hold their seat despite the attention of the Dungeons, Death and Taxes Party. Nationwide saw quite a few seat stolen from Labour and going to the Tories and Liberal Democrats.

The most interesting seat shuffle was in Bethnel Green, where George Galloway - friend of Sadaam but no so chummy with Blair - won his seat by overthrowing what used to be a safe labour stronghold. The mostly Muslim community in London's east end fell for Galloway's eye sparkle and anti-war patter, which is designed only for Gallowy's own personal advancement and not on any genuine care about Iraq's events.

What a thorn in Blair's side this man has been and now he has a seat back in the House of Commons, I wonder how he will use it? For his own ends perhaps given he only ran on a personal agenda? Or will he actually be the one to represent the Muslim voters of London. Decide as you may.

The bomb that went off in New York in the early hours of yesterday harmed no one thankfully, and made no impact on the election either. While it was reported, it wasn't reported in connection with the election and so if it was politically motivated, then I'm delighted to say the dunderheads failed on all counts.

Morning in work was crap. Did you expect to read anything else?

Lunchtime couldn't come quick enough and I got a couple of pints in with Dave and Tom in Clark's and watched Gypsy King run a superb race at the 2.00 at Chester. Now a favourite for the Derby in June, I may just flutter a few bob in its direction.

I wrote my first Haiku poem this afternoon. I have been reading up on this form of poetry and think I can use it to my advantage in tuning my observations into the right collection of minimal words but still capturing moments, emotions and frozen thoughts.

After work I went up town to meet my mum and wee sister. They were in town to go to the Playhouse to see Starlight Express, but their meal plans went somewhat awry. Instead of a nice bar meal they ended up getting a chippy because the Conan Doyle had stopped serving and time was tight.

When they left, I met up with Zander and Brendan for a couple more in The Basement. We spent the best part of two hours deciding on the Top 5 bands/solo artists of each decade since the 60's.

If memory serves me correctly (and it may not), these were the results (in no particular order):

1960's
The Beatles
The Who
The Doors
Jimi Hendrix
The Rolling Stones

1970's
Pink Floyd
David Bowie
The Police
The Sex Pistols
The Clash

1980's
Madness
The Smiths
Adam and the Ants
U2
Dire Straits

1990's
Oasis
Nirvana
Stone Roses
Elton John
Charlatans

2000's (so far)
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sterophonics


I finished up my last drink around 11 o'clock and headed home. Tomorrow will be an early start and the last thing I needed was a hangover to go with it.
Colin 9:21 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment