Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Team Hug Anyone?

As promised - here's the new look for Freedom From The Mundane. There are still a few minor bugs to sorry out, but I hope you like it.

I did the school run today for first time in several months. I used to share it with Gail but when she started her new, more closely located job, it meant my services became redundant. Laura walked hand in hand with me round to the school and ran off into the hundreds of kids running about the playground.

It was another lovely statr to the day. There was a crystal blanket over the Links where Jack Frost passed through overnight and the sky tinted a beautiful shade of blue. Spring is definitely making a fight of it.

I can feel a bout of early morning starts coming on with the weather turning good. A fresh spring is just what I need and I think we are moving house just at the right time. I still have my fingers crossed this is going to be a great year.

I posted Heart of a Child to Take A Break magazine over lunch and then spent some time getting A Bond of Faith ready for submission via email. I subbed it to Open Wide Magazine when I got home.

I had planned to go over Loaded in the evening with a view to posting it tomorrow, but I discovered I couldn't because the requirement is for 1800 words maximum. Pity, as it would have been perfect, but there is no way I can cut that many words out of it.

I sent it off to Soiled Ink Magazine instead and I'll have a think about ideas for the competition, which I still intend to enter.

I don't do many competitions; the Bridport Prize, BBC Competitions and the some of the monthly ones at Writing Magazine. They give great prompts and the charity they support through the David St. John Trust is a worthwhile cause. They give great feedback and over the years it has become more recognised. The prize money isn't too shabby either.

They have two running at the moment I want to enter: one about 'dictionaries', the other about a 'journey'. I’ll think about them until something strikes, which always does.

I worked on The Oasis in the evening with a view to subbing when I find a suitable market for it. At 5000 words, it may take longer to do so.

I also polished up and sent in issues 54 and 55 of Hunting Jack. That's me back to being over my contracted 9 ahead minimum. *phew*!

My submissions list reads thus:

Short Stories
Heart of a Child - Take A Break Magazine
A Bond of Faith - Open Wide Magazine
The Blind Man of Cathkin Street - Writing Magazine
Loaded - Spoiled Ink Magazine

(All print magazines)

Poems
Robots - This Is It Magazine
8:41 - This Is It Magazine
Who Am I? - This Is It Magazine
Lost Tears - This Is Is Magazine
Perfect Place - Binnacle Competition
Disposable Pen - Binnacle Competition

I finished off the UK Music Column for KIC complete with black and white photographs and reviewed the Website Column. What a time to decide I don't like it either. I'm now contemplating re-writing it. If I do decide, it'll have to be a rush job. I'm worried it reads too technical and might put people off from reading it.

We had Laura's Parent's Consultation Evening at the school. It was a great report, but the highlight for me was when the teacher told us about Laura's caring attitude towards her fellow pupils. She always asks how people are and genuinely cares for everyone. The best bit though, is something she "stole" from me, and it proves I'm having more of an influence on her than I realised. She likes to get everyone at her table together for a ‘Team Hug’ - something I started at home. when someone is down we have a 'Family Hug', and now Laura has taken it into the classroom. What a wee gem!
Colin 10:10 am

2 Comments:

Go on yersel bigman! Nice new look - very fresh for the new season
So Springy! Love the new look! Of course it only makes me wistful because Spring in Wisconsin doesn't hit until...say...JUNE.
:-P

Add a comment