Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, March 07, 2005

Spring Is In The Air

Spring is well and truly in the air. Blue skies and warm air above Leith made it a fine morning going to work. The light clouds and mellow air led me into a creative mood and I revamped my blog with a new design. I will publish it tomorrow since I still have a couple of small things to take care of with the images.

I made a change to Heart of a Child to make it suitable for submission to a UK magazine. One of the requirements was for there to be a strong female in the story, and so Tommy’s father became his mother. It gives it a strange feel; I’m not sure whether that’s caused by me being used to it being about a father as opposed to a mother, but it certainly gives it a new edge. I wasn’t sure that my template for this kind of submission was worded suitably – it’s a paying, print market - so I asked my friends in my writing forum to take a look and see what they thought.

I’m not eating well at the moment and feeling poorer for it. Normally I will have coffee and sometimes toast or muesli or porridge for breakfast and a small lunch before having a proper dinner after work. Lately though, I’ve not been eating until late evening and the food I’m eating isn’t a proper meal; more snack type food so it’s not really a dinner. Not enough veggies or pasta as I would like and I think it’s down to the upheaval in the house. I simply can’t be bothered cooking just now - and so I don’t, and I’m feeling a bit crappy for it.

After dinner (cheese on toast!) I took another read through A Bond of Faith and made some changes, tightened it up and prepared it for resubmission. I’ve still to find a market for this one though; I can check that out tomorrow.

Plus I have found a place for Loaded. I’m going to enter this one in a competition.

Hunting Jack didn’t escape either with a read and edit of the latest four issues to be written.

So it was a good writing day all things considered. By the end of tomorrow I should have all my short fiction that is submittable – submitted. Then I concentrate on new projects and forget about them while they go through the cycle.

Still got some web stuff to take care of with regards to a new site I’m putting together. I need to check with the bloke that he is happy with the terms and which design he has finally settled on.

Things are going well – I seem to be spinning several plates at once quite comfortably at the moment. Long may this continue; last month is still fresh in my mind.
Colin 9:55 am

2 Comments:

I read about a lady who lived for months on "snack food" (she didn't realize it, because she was running all the time) and she eventually fell down bleeding out her eyeballs. She had a stroke.
So...you'd better do some cooking soon! Besides, square meals will help with your creativity! (not that that's suffering...)
:-)
Spring, huh? I'm jealous! We had TWENTY DEGREE WEATHER and snow flurries today!
Ann

Add a comment