Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Just When I thought I was Out, They Pull Me Back In

I was up and away by 7.30am this morning and into the dark calm that is Leith Links. With my stereo playing Stella on repeat and a hot coffee already in my belly, I arrived at work feeling pretty good.

I wrote Issue 38 of Hunting Jack and scribbled some longhand notes on the next few issues.

I stumbled across this interesting article:

Boca News Article (US)

Makes you wonder eh?

Gail took a half-day so she could drive through to Glasgow on time for the Busted concert with Laura and avoid the M8 rush-hour traffic. She said she was worried about the drive but I gave her good instructions to a nice parking area that will be easy to get back onto the motorway quick. I think I was more excited for Laura than she is – imagining her at her first ever concert. I only wish the gig had been in January then she could have had it for her Christmas. But I wanted her to go and I bought her a wee camera to get some pics to show me too.

I finally had it out with my boss – and his boss. In an honest and forthright meeting, he asked what I had been doing lately because it appeared not much.

“Nothing, because I am bored out my tits. You guys sit about talking about all this work and none of it arrives our way. We’ve been hung out to dry with no direction and now you have the balls to ask why I haven’t done anything!”

As a result of that statement I was handed a significant amount of work. Not any old work, but major, high profile work related to the company’s web and database infrastructure. Nice.

This means that my writing time at work is going to have to be managed more carefully. I will have to write early morning more, lunchtimes if I can find the time, and after work as normal.

Should I be happy or pissed off? Well I’m pissed off that it came to an argument with my bosses. Having to tell them direct they weren’t doing a good job probably hurt them, but at the end of the day I was the one suffering. I’m pissed off that I feel more distant to my writing career in one sudden swoop. But I’m happier because at least I now have a reason to come in here. I’ll take on the projects they handed me and deliver. But my long-term aims remain resolute – to leave this hole and write full-time.

I shaved my head after leaving the growth for too long and cut myself at the back and on the top when I shaved over a bump. It was a new razor and it stung like hell. I tried to write but couldn’t; thoughts of today’s meeting confusing my mind. I am going to have become more disciplined now that I am to work for my money.

Gail sent an MMS from the Busted concert. It made me well up seeing my wee girl at her first ever gig. Hopefully one day she’ll get to see Madness - now that would be something.


Colin 8:48 am

1 Comments:

That is a double-edged sword. Now you have WORK at work, but it cuts into Writing time. You can make it work, just prioritize your projects.
Laura is so cute! My daughter Em is seven and has glasses too! (She's WAY farsighted.) It looks like she had fun at her concert!

Add a comment