Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

A Day Of Close Shaves

When I looked at my pillow I knew it wasn’t going to be a great day. After last night’s close shave, some of the cuts on my head obviously had not closed off properly and turned my lovely white pillow into polka dot red. I turned it over so as to put Gail’s wrath off as long as possible.

They both arrived home after I fell asleep last night and when I got up Laura was watching cartoons in her brand new Busted t-shirt. She rattled off everything that happened at the concert in the space of 2.3 milliseconds and I pretended to hear it all.

With a dentist appointment at 9.45 I could relax into the day with a shower and hot coffee. I looked in the mirror as I was leaving the house and noticed three large pink scars on the top of my head, the exact size and feel that skin makes after a razor has sliced into it. I don’t know what I did last night but my scalp now looks like an overhead surveillance map of Afghanistan.

I made my way along to the dentist (it’s within walking distance) and was shown straight through to the room. Before I had even sat down the dentist had the needle ready to shove into my right upper gum.

“I didn’t know I was getting this done?” I said, somewhat alarmed.

“Oh yes Mr. Galbraith. Why – are you scared?” he said laughing and waving his needle at me.

I looked up at his young assistant from my horizontal position, and wanting to retain some amount of macho dignity I smiled uneasily.

“Course not – fire away.”

A jab, a drill and a compression later and I was back outside standing at the bus stop. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes which I was glad about as it could have been worse – I’ve SEEN it be worse.

I’m not scared of the dentist – just wary. There’s been so many scare-stories recently it’s hard not to pay attention to them. But credit where credit is due – this guy seems professional and clean. He just needs to work on his jokes a bit harder.

I got to work with half a face functioning and got down to some of the work handed over to me. As a result, today alone I saved them £25,000 by reviewing and amending the license procedure for one of the tools we support. See – I do good stuff – just don’t enjoy it as much as writing that’s all.

I have managed to get my PC at home working to an extent, by sheer luck more than anything else. After restoring a load of drivers it is semi-working but it still needs a reinstall. By the time I headed off for a game of snooker my face had returned to normal, which is just as well as I was worried about spilling my beverage down myself.
Colin 10:20 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment