Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Christmas Spirit

I spent most of the day with Laura. She has a cold and is coughing a lot, particularly at night so she isn’t sleeping too well. She’s her same old normal self – just when she gets herself excited over Christmas she coughs even more.

I got her wrapped up good and took her with me to pick our Christmas tree. There is a yard not far from us which sells them and we picked out a nice 6-footer, quite bushy but not too wide.

She always thinks it is hilarious when I lump it over my shoulder and carry it home; thinking of all the wee people in their houses looking out their windows and seeing a tree walking up the road.

When we got back I put on a Christmas CD and fixed the tree into its stand, managing to get it straight first time. Then the lights tested and went on so that all the decorations could go up. Laura loves it, and there was a battle to get her to stop putting things on the tree such was her enjoyment. She even wanted small porcelain ornaments to be balanced on the branches. The only thing left is chocolate decorations, which we will try and get some time this week.

I took a pic of the tree with Laura showing it off neatly with her left hand. The pic doesn’t do the tree justice actually (sic), because the long tinsel we have didn’t show up too well, and the lights all flash in random patterns – but you get the idea.

Click to enlarge


After the tree was done we eat some chocolate from a selection box I accidentally stumbled across – it was one of Gail’s, and she hadn’t declared it so in we all dived. Then we all gave our cards to each other; mine said, “From Daddy’s little girl” on the front – you can imagine how big the lump in my throat was.

I want this to be a great Christmas for her.
Colin 4:16 pm

1 Comments:

Aw, Colin. She's a cutie-pie. Sounds like you all had a nice time. :-)

Add a comment