Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Waiting for Gail

Ended up watching a film till 2am last night. It was the worst thing I could have done, especially when you hear that it was Road House with Patrick Swayze. What was I thinking?!

I was shattered when I got up to take Laura to her dance lessons, but struck it lucky when a neighbour offered to take her in the car, since she was already going that way. This meant I could relax into the day then make a start tidying the house. So there was no going up town for coffee and my usual Saturday morning routine, but I didn't really miss it for being too tired.

The rest of the day was all about making the house nice for Gail, keeping Laura occupied and trying not to talk to myself too much, as I seem to have been doing more and more over the last couple of days. It's fine having Laura for company, but with the only adult conversation coming from work, it's been a poor week for chat.

I made pasta with a tomato and herb sauce and prepared some fresh baguettes in the oven for dinner. Very nice, healthy and respectable. I avoided a glass of red wine for fear it might put me to sleep too quickly.

Afterwards, I finished off one last coat of gloss on the woodwork in the downstairs shower room and settled down with the laptop and a good film. I watched Ratcatcher, a film written and directed by Lynne Ramsay. It was acclaimed as the best debut by a British film director in the past fifteen years when it was released in 1999, as well as scooping numerous directorial and artistic awards.

And rightly so. I thought it was visually stunning and very engrossing, with an edge of realism you never get in Hollywood films.It is set in Glasgow in the 1970's during the bin strikes and every scene is loaded with raw human emotion. I wouldn't want to give the plot away, but I would recommend it. I became involved in it almost immediately and didn't get a lot of writing done, but I rarely get to watch a good film and it did give me some ideas for my fiction.

When I fell asleep, I did so with Teletext on at the flight arrivals page for Glasgow airport. Gail would be home in the morning, and her flight number was being refreshed every five minutes to make sure her 0530 landing would still apply. If all goes well, I should see her around 7.30 tomorrow morning.
Colin 12:32 pm

1 Comments:

"ROADHOUSE" is one of those movies that is so bad, you HAVE to watch it. Kind of like a train wreck. You know it's going to happen, but you have to watch...you just can't avert your eyes.

;-)

Add a comment