Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Emotions of Prose

Tired after last night's late shift. Ended up writing the synopsis for my planned NaNoWriMo novel until 1:45am. I kept thinking of missing links and areas I will have to research in advance. I've got two months to do all that, but I expect there will be times in November I will have to down tools to go find something out. I gave it a title too - Slick. Here's the draft blurb.

In fact, here isn't the blurb. I was going to post the rough outline of the novel, but decided against it. I hope you aren't annoyed or upset. If you really want to read it, because it means that much to you, email me here, and I'll send it to you.

Started work on the first draft of the Name Exercise from Devon's The Scruffy Dog Review Blog prompts. "Amanda and Joe" was the prompt and this was quite tough, I found. Well, tougher than the last couple of exercises anyway. I got writing and came up with a rather sad tale called, Amanda and Joe (funnily enough); two elderly people who find each other in later life through a tragedy that is dealt them both. Intrigued? Not half as much as I am.

I applied the changes I noted down last night to Regrets. It improved vastly now that the possible questions surrounding it are answered in the prose itself - but more subtly, I think. Later on, I printed it off double-spaced and sat back to read it, making edit notes as I read. More cutting and re-organising of the prose was required, but a strange thing happened.

As I came to the second re-write of the day on the last couple of paragraphs, I felt really involved in the story. I mean, my gut was wrenching and I felt quite emotional about the whole thing; the plot, the twist but more significantly, all these words and phrases - all the perfect ones - came out of my head and onto the paper. So when I read it back afterwards, I found myself feeling - roughed up emotionally.

What's more, I had an overwhelming need to call my mother and tell her I was sorry for all the shit I've ever put her through! Where that came from I have no idea, but as it was too late to call her tonight, I'll do it tomorrow.

Explain that one Mr Freud!

I've come to realise so far through Devon's exercises, that I think I've been approaching short story telling all wrong. Not in the writing of them, so much, but more in the 'I need a story - what can I write about?' way of thinking.

Instead of thinking about a story, I should just use prompts like these to pull a story out of me. I've been making it too hard on myself and I'm finding that the stories come much more fluidly when prompted from objects/names/paintings etc. I must say I'm looking forward to the Phrase Exercise already (got lots in my head for that), as well as the smell and sound ones.

I've added some new blogs and websites that are total musts as far as I'm concerned! I've added the links to my website and/or to my blog (which you you are in!) Go check them out, dude!!

Craft Green Poet - Juliet Wilson's Poetry blog
Bolts of Silk - online poetry magazine
One Deep Breath - haiku poetry
Poetry Associate of Scotland - superb national resource for poets
Scottish Poetry Library - info for Scottish poets
Poetry Scotland - info for Scottish poets
Literature Training - Support and development for writers
Colin 11:42 am

1 Comments:

I think we all have those moments, Col. We ALL put our moms through shite during our childhoods.

That's why WE get to have kids...to fully appreciate our Mums.
:-)

Add a comment