Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Death Of A Legend And The Top 5 List

Found out this morning of the death of one of Britain's greatest comedy heroes, Ronnie Barker, died today aged 76.

I grew up with him on my television screen as he and colleague, Ronnie Corbett, entertained millions of viewers on their Saturday night show, The Two Ronnies, which ran for fifteen years. If you didn't watch it you missed out on most of Monday's conversations back at school. When I grew older I started to appreciate his other work especially Porridge, which he always said was his most accomplished work.

He was part of the very rare group of British comedians who can honestly lay claim to the fact that they not only shaped television viewing habits for a generation, but also shaped the memories of millions of people; installing himself into the hearts and minds of everyone who watched his shows.

Ronnie Barker is a showbiz legend who will never be forgotten.



1929 - 2005

Such is often the way of family life, notice of certain events is often assumed rather than mentioned. So I took today off to clean - and I mean clean - the house. If I hadn't, it would have caused undue stress at night so I threw myself into a major clean-up operation. It was very hard work. Every room got a thorough going over and it took me from 9.30am until 8pm to polish everything from the windows to the radiators to the ceilings to the floors - in all seven rooms plus the halls and stairs. The only break I had was 25 minutes for lunch and half an hour when I went to collect Laura from her choir lessons.

As you know, I'm not one who normally likes to blow their own trumpet and I'm not going to start now, but I'm thinking of entering myself into the UK Hubby of the Year Contest because of the things I do.

ahem

An article I wrote has been published on Circadian Poems. Read all about Robert Louis Stevenson - Poet and Author by clicking on the link.

To balance this delight up, I received a rejection in my email from Open Wide Magazine for Heart of a Child.

My office is beginning to resemble an office after I got tore into it this afternoon. Once the boxes of surplus books and research were out the way and put into the loft, it made an immediate impact on the visual aspect.

Gail's folks got back from holiday today and my MIL brought me a wee statue of a Buddha for my office. I think she is trying to tell me something. I placed it on the new shelves and prayed his little belly wouldn't bring the whole lot tumbling down.

For the last couple of months I have been so charged about my writing and I can only see the autumn spell being even more dense with creativity. It's all in the mind and spirit of course, but it almost feels physical; the drive to write and create and write and write. It's a powerful addiction and I love it. If I had to give up bevvy to save my writing, I would!

There's been weeks this past year when if things built up to the point I was overloading with work, I would freeze and everything else would suffer. At the moment I just can't seem to get enough of it and I think it's because I addressed the work versus family issue. Since I put together the timetable and shared it with Gail, everything I have taken on has only fed my energy levels further.

To finish today's entry off, here's some facts about me - courtesy of Sue at Turning 30 and a Half.

Colly's TOP 5 List

5 Things I Plan To Do Before I Die
Publish a best-selling novel
Father a child
Learn Italian
Make love - right before I die
See the North Pole

5 Things I Can Do
Write fiction and poetry
Construct a website
Cook a great meal
Argue a point until it's flogged to death
Whistle like a budgie

5 Things I Cannot Do
Resist a pint
Drive
Touch my toes
Reveal everything
Appreciate TV advertisements

5 Things That Attract Me To The Opposite Sex
A great ass
Eyes
Intelligence
Independence
Sense of humour
(NB - For all of above, please refer to my wife)

5 Things I Say Most Often
"A pint of Tennent's please."
"Ding Dong!"
"Hello. How are you? I am fine."
"Oh - I see..."
"What the fuck?"

5 Celebrity Crushes
Davina McCall
Cat Deeley
Diane Keaton (yes - even now)
Gwyneth Paltrow
Marge Simpson
Colin 12:58 pm

5 Comments:

Col, you are HILARIOUS!!!

by the way, "learning to speak Italian" is on my "life goal" list too! In fact, I purchased the Pimsleur courses in Italian and everything! How funny.
Marge Simpson? Interesting choice!

Thanks for playin' btw! Always a good way to get to know more about each other. (in a good way!)
heheh Colin. Yer a hoot! Methinks I might have to do the 5 things list. VERY COOL. :)
Marge has that sexy voice!
I have too many lists...and that's good...because if they ever ran out, i'd be in trouble.

Add a comment