Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Edinburgh The Irritable

Some days the world seems so full of prats, and I met my fair share today. I got to the bank after 9am to deposit a cheque and discovered it was not open until 9.30am. A bank! The main branch in Edinburgh! So I waited, and the security guard who watched me pacing for over 10 minutes waited until 9.35am to open up. I wonder if he likes his job?

Met another bloke who clearly hates his job in a customer-facing environment; Scott in the Kodak Shop on Hanover Street. He huffed when I approached with my films for developing, avoided eye contact and thrust my receipt at me without speaking. I know I hate my job, but thankfully I don't have to work with customers. I think he might be missing his job at McDonald's.

Edinburgh just seemed to be 'out to annoy me' today. I waited patiently at the side of the road for a car to pass but it slowed down, and started to meander as if deliberately holding me back from getting to the coffee shop. So I walked out onto the road and forced the car to wait for ME to cross. They tooted when I was ten yards down the road. Cowards.

Walking down the hill to work, people kept stopping and turning in front of me. Can they not see me walking behind them? I'm not small! It's as if nobody in this town gives a damn for anyone else and it really gets up my nose. I once saw a man trip over a homeless girl because he was on his mobile phone!!!

No writing to report. I'm in danger of this being a crap month and the worry is building inside me. I do have a lot out on submission but have heard nothing for few weeks now. With two weeks to go I am still in the "do-able" zone, but I need to get my arse into gear.

I had to work again tonight which took the sting out any plans I had to write, and when I got back it was too late and I was tired. My neck is hurting and I'm feeling crappy about myself. This is not a good week. Something is out of place; something not right with the cosmos. I can't pin-point it but it's causing me grief.

Looks like Galloway is to face another inquiry over the oil for food scandal. The man in charge of his squeaky-clean company has apparently sent important papers out the country. Why?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4557931.stm
Colin 11:26 am

4 Comments:

Oh, Colin. Your talk of prats made me chuckle. I can relate to this so much. There have been days when I feel exactly like this!
Hey Col,
I hope the day got better for you! (Isn't it like, night-time there now?) I can't stand ugly (and I mean nasty, not literally ugly) people. They make your day turn to crap like *that*.
When you figure out what's wrong with the Cosmos let me know because you're making me nervous!
;-)
I feel your pain. I hope it gets better for you . . . for both of us.
I feel your pain. I hope it gets better for you . . . for both of us.

Add a comment