Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, August 08, 2004

A Bride, A Groom and a Short Story

The Scottish summer reached into its second and third consecutive days this weekend. I kid you not. We have now had three days of hot and sunny weather, all in succession. Saturdays glorious weather was more than welcome for my friends Nicola and Stephen who got married in the Hilton Hydro in Dunblane. Dunblane is a beautiful part of the country, set in the centre of the country between Falkirk and Stirling. It encompasses the vast rolling wilds of Scotland within a traditionally small village setting. Gail and myself drove up on Saturday and joined in the celebrations at twelve noon - the party never stopped until four o’clock the following morning. When the Bride arrived in the hotel for the ceremony, a fully regaled Scottish Piper played her into the wedding suite and up the aisle. The suite itself had large bay windows that overlooked the backdrop of the surrounding mountains making it a truly romantic Scottish wedding. Twelve hours later, we saw them out to the tune of Flower of Scotland and The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond. It was a fantastic day, and despite being duped into dancing alone, on my own, singularly on the dance floor in front of 200 people, I still had a great time. Needless to say though, everyone was left in no doubt that I really am quite a crap dancer.

Today took a while to get started. The hangover kicked in pretty much as soon as I got up, which was about 9am. Having had only five hours of restless sleep it was no wonder I could hardly eat any of my cooked breakfast. By the time we got home most of the afternoon had passed me by so I was delighted that I managed to write the first draft of a short story I had been developing in note form, called A Bond Of Faith. It’s not for anything in particular, but I will continue to work on it and hopefully find a somewhere suitable to submit it for application in the next few days.
Colin 8:32 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment